It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Movie Chat Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:57 am 

the movie The Discoverers looks very interesting; I will try to track it down

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:27 am 

Jasun wrote:

Here's a few I've seen in the last year or so that took me to movie nirvana (a desire-free state):

Hi-

Sorry for my flakey participation.

I trust the experiment is getting interesting.

Many thanks for the movie suggestions- loved Mud and Dallas buyers club (really enjoyed Mcconaughey's brief role on the Wolf of Wall Street too).

Watched 'Locke' last night and appreciated the writer's efforts in creating a full movie that happens in the front of a car. Loved the use of the invisible Dad character and the slow build-ups of emotion.

Working my way through the movies of the thread.

_-+?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Have not watched any movies this weekend so far. Tried to watch Man in a High Castle pilot but was very quickly discouraged by the low intelligence of the writing and the overall stench of US propaganda bullshit.

I seem to be at a turning point in my psyche. I may be losing interest in movies. =+*@ :rastaman:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:15 pm 

Maybe Movies no longer work on you?

maybe unrelated- but as a youth I enjoyed the occasional music festival. As a struggling musician I worked at them as a roadie for cash. Once I saw the inner workings of the business side- basically kids funding the event and being given baseline facilities for the money, while backstage the 'artists' have luxury treatment at the kid's expense. The whole music business just didn't work any more.

Now I mainly like traditional Folk/ World music some classical (lots of which was apparently commissioned by the psychotic kings/rulers of the past).

I revisit the movies & music of my youth sometimes to see if the stuff I liked is still convincing. Sometimes I can forgive myself and see (as much as it can be seen); how growing up as an 80's child had a devastating effect on me; the cartoons, the relentless fake TV personalities, then as a young teen the emergence of CGI with Jurassic Park etc.

I think only in the past few years (I don't know if SWEDA had anything to do with it k70*) I have observed that a large part of my unconscious drive was to create a life that would be OK by all that cultural standardising. The deburdening process is incredibly freeing, but also feels exposing in that my contact with reality has been 'cushioned' for so long by the culture fluff.

Climbed a tree yesterday. Highly recommend it. :hattip:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Ross wrote:
Maybe Movies no longer work on you?

There is always hope. Eventually, as your own anecdote about music indicates, seeing behind the scenes of culture has to allow an immunity to develop. Maybe like clearing out the body enough to feel bad when we eat junk food, so we no longer want to eat it ~ as compared to using the mind to tell ourselves it is bad, which never works (for me anyway).

Quote:
The deburdening process is incredibly freeing, but also feels exposing in that my contact with reality has been 'cushioned' for so long by the culture fluff.

Yep. Movies are the opium of the masses. Numbing out is what we are all looking to get; embodiment is the opposite of numb.
:sweatattack:

Quote:
Climbed a tree yesterday. Highly recommend it. :hattip:

Rocks and trees and physical culture.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Couple of great surrealist sci-fi movies I forgot to mention:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Mindhunter gets off to a shaky start but is turning out to be pretty stunning, IMO

Watch the Real-life Interviews With Serial Killer Edmund Kemper:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/mindhunt ... iller.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 am 

I've seen What Happened to Monday recently. It's a pretty fun dystopian sci-fi movie with an interesting plot. I'd certainly recommend it, especially to people who like the genre.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7