It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well. It's been a while. No rush, apparently. Some things to figure out as to what this forum is exactly for. A space to concentrate the attention and gather all the different threads together.

Anyone who is not familiar with the genesis of the Kubrickon (the current phase I mean, apparently initiated by me), here's the story so far.

I am not a fan of Kubrick's work ~ or of the whole notion of "artistic genius" ~ but I have ended up using him/it as the hub of an epistemological wheel because Kubrick ~ the social phenomenon, not the man, or even the movies ~ amply illuminates an area of inquiry that has for a long time interested me: the interface between culture and psyche, and the interdependence/inseparability of experiment and observation, of artist, artifact, and audience.

I am leery of having this space stitched to the coattails of Kubrick, and even more of having it overrun with Kubraphiles ready to fight to the death to defend the honor of their Lord & Master. But on the other hand, as Charles Fort said, "One measures a circle, starting anywhere," and an anthropologist entering into the jungle has to be prepared for mosquito bites, and even a tropical disease or two.

While I am working on The Kubrickon (a book, but also a kind of multimedia project), part of my research involves sharing of information and comparing notes with other people, and it makes sense to have a space to do it in, rather than spreading it out over various corporate-owned social networks. And even the more standard research I'm doing (with my partner) online has to be stored somewhere, so by putting all the fruit of that in one place, it creates a potential resource for others.

I've created a couple of other sub-forums (besides The Overlook and data dump) to make it clear that the focus isn't ~ or needn't be ~ exclusively on Kubrick (or even movies). What this forum ends up being depends entirely on the people who contribute to it and what we want, individually and collectively.

The last time I started a public forum was back in 2009, and it eventually became SWEDA (The Stormy Weather Detective Agency). I've used the same program and theme for this one, but I'd like to reduce associations as much as possible, so if anyone knows how to customize & would like to volunteer, let me know (I tried to change the color, but no luck).

Likewise with any suggestions about the site in general, what you'd like to see here, and so on, post them here, along with a few words to introduce yourself.

Thanks. And yeah, I know it's Christmas right now so probably not the best time to expect lots of activity. On the other hand, we pagans gotta entertain ourselves somehow.

Post subject: Re: Introductions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:31 pm 

I have been following Jasun's work since October of 2008. I was a part of SWEDA and the original forum. Since then, I've met about 10 people from the original forum in person. In 2012, I quit my conventional job to travel. Through relationships made at the forum, I've made many connections, new friends and experienced many syncs along the way. When I first began, I suppose you could have called me a seeker but now I am just kind of following an organic path of syncs, not really intentionally looking for anything but perceiving everything.

For the last five years, I've been interested in and studying health and nutrition. Almost two months ago, I stumbled upon Gene Keys by Richard Rudd, which combines Human Design with I Ching and it has validated a lot of thoughts I've had about spirituality and the connection to the body. Since I've started working/reading through the book organically, I've experienced a lot of shifts in awareness, which has led to a lot of creative expression.

With the start of winter, I kind of feel like I am in a hibernation/hiatus place at the moment. Just taking in everything and working on art and reading at the moment. I returned from a trip to Guatemala a little over a month ago and now I'm just in a transitional reflective place. I am excited to see what comes of this space.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:35 am 

Hello Jasun, Persephany & all...

I am Ross from Lancashire, England. I am 34 years old. Listened to Stormy Weather, Engaged with Sweda and assisted (or hindered) a few of Jasun's experiments over the past 5 years.

I've flailed around all kinds of ideas from the occult to the new age to the critical since the early 2000s when I was reading zen buddhism, meditating while trying to be a revolutionary. Also using vast amounts of energy trying to get various progressive musical acts to 'work'. I finally withdrew into my own process in the late 2000s, but still had the behaviours and coping strategies of a controlling addict (still do but more aware of them). Sweda was useful in that I got to see things in myself and others.

I found the most solitary existence I could about 5 years ago, retreating to my parent's house away from weed, away from booze. Had a dog which I walked ever day and invested what little money I got (UK benefits system) into simple food, and started practising Yoga/movement every day.

These days I teach Yoga for a living, and live with my Yoga teacher/Partner.

Throughout this process Jasun has been a voice of reason, and sometimes a devil's advocate. We met once in London, although I was still emerging from the fog of my 20s.

I am not sure what Kubrickon means to me, I consider myself quite easy to please/naive with film. There is no TV in our house (although we do have a laptop/projector for movies or series).

I have noticed that the effects of Kubrick's films have caused some kind of inner divide in me; a feeling that I can't tell if it's SK enlightening me to the hidden strategies of people/'the system', or SK making me paranoid about said strategies.

So I guess I am here as a sort of generalist with some grounding in body practise, who can to some degree of clarity share how things effect the sensations of the body; whether these are fallacious are not depends on a lot.

It's strange to be here with its SWEDA looks. I am happy and scared at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:31 am 

I usually go by the name Nalyd Khezr Bey in various other online places but sometimes I just use the initials out of convenience. My own interests can perhaps be summed up with the words "occult" or "esoterism". I could draw that out in detail but I'll let those interests trickle out over the course of my activity on these forums, provided that there will be some inroads here that will spark me to participate. ;)

I first read The Lucid View and Matrix Warrior almost simultaneously around the end of 2005. I didn't know that these two books were written by the same author but I had my suspicions and wasn't surprised when Jasun came out of the closet about it later. I've followed his work kind of off and on ever since first reading those books. I've never been good at being a diehard true-believer type of follower which is why I never quite jump on board any of his projects but I do admire the efforts and appreciate a lot of the ideas.

As for Stanley Kubrick... well, I should admit up front that this is probably my least favorite of those efforts but I am curious about what the underlying intention is here. A few of my early favorite films have been Kubrick films; 2001, A Clockwork Orange and The Shining. I have always loved 2001 precisely for the blank template aspect of it... the black monolith literally being a mirror (or movie screen) for whatever the viewer wants to project onto it; in alchemical terms, the powder of projection. As for Kubrick himself, I've never really had that much interest in him but do admire the way he simply made his films and basically said "here it is, make of it what you will" in the same fashion that the world itself has been thrust upon us. Perhaps this is what Jasun is on about. I always got this similar impression from his Lucid View and Homo-Serpiens even if he didn't mean those books that way.

So, glad to be here and look forward to whatever comes of it. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Ross wrote:
Throughout this process Jasun has been a voice of reason, and sometimes a devil's advocate. We met once in London, although I was still emerging from the fog of my 20s.

And you got trapped in my mother's apartment! Which, being as how maybe the central, persisting focus of my work has been exploring, understanding, and undoing the (almost totally unrecognized) psychic phenomenon known as "mother bondage," seems sort of significant!

Ross wrote:
So I guess I am here as a sort of generalist with some grounding in body practise, who can to some degree of clarity share how things effect the sensations of the body; whether these are fallacious are not depends on a lot.

Body as a point of reference is something good to keep in mind (hah) at an intellectually prejudiced space such as this (writing realm).

Someone on twitter recently asked me the different between a neurotic expression and a bodily one.

Ross wrote:
It's strange to be here with its SWEDA looks. I am happy and scared at the same time.

Working on that look.

Happiness is scary.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:15 am 

Jasun wrote:

Ross wrote:

Body as a point of reference is something good to keep in mind (hah) at an intellectually prejudiced space such as this (writing realm).

Someone on twitter recently asked me the different between a neurotic expression and a bodily one.
Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:00 am 

Jasun wrote:
And you got trapped in my mother's apartment! Which, being as how maybe the central, persisting focus of my work has been exploring, understanding, and undoing the (almost totally unrecognized) psychic phenomenon known as "mother bondage," seems sort of significant!

Oh yes. I recall the weightiness of that event with it's timing and everything. I think the women who were trapped with us got a bit scared (that they were trapped with US), or maybe I was projecting. Also, it was a time when I was becoming aware of all the relationships I found myself tangled up in, and how they were based on lies (contracts etc). I remember feeling that I was asking you for impossible advice on that too so apologies and thank you because it sort of helped/clarified now that I look back.

Jasun wrote:

There's an invitation to enquire...? Makes me think of what comes up in Yoga chats, the sensation vs thought based 'dialogue' between body and mind, then needing to communicate that in language and the issues that ensue.

Jasun wrote:
Happiness is scary.

Hah yeh; I think the happiness bit comes from the familiarity, and knowing that the bottom line of Sweda was fellowship and growth- or at least that's how it seemed. The scary bit comes from the knowledge that the physical space that I live in is relatively lazy when it comes to language, (except my partner Debbie is good at spotting my cop-outs/fallacious assumptions etc) So I am aware that this is a place now where a certain standard of clarity is required; I am strongly pulled to throw myself into the experience of language being valued again- in the yoga teaching life, it's often about getting people out of language into sensation; which is what they usually need. There is a laziness with it though too, communication with others gets tiresome, relationships come apart... Which there's a place for...

This is becoming a ramble.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:28 pm 

Hello, all. My name is Keith. I've known Jasun for several years now, since the Stormy Weather daze. I was a member of SWEDA and participated in the Crucial Fictions podcast series http://crucialfictions.com/ I've been a lifelong movie fan and I agree with Jasun's opinions on many films and filmmakers tho we've always disagreed on Kubrick. About two months ago I started listening to Always Record and became reinterested in Kubrick. I decided to rewatch his entire ouvre which I've done and am rewatching a second time paying extra close attention and even taking screenshots (I'm embarrassed to say how many). I was prepared to rethink my position on Kubrick and am still open to the idea but the more I look the more evidence I see for his genius. So I suppose I represent the very obstacle that Jasun is attempting to overcome. He has accused me of being a yes-man in the past and not without good reason but that man has left the building. Let the games begin. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry about those posts sitting around unapproved so long. I changed the setting at the forum so posts wouldn't have to be approved but apparently it didn't change anything. Where's the rage smilie?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:38 am 

Ross wrote:

Jasun wrote:

There's an invitation to enquire...? Makes me think of what comes up in Yoga chats, the sensation vs thought based 'dialogue' between body and mind, then needing to communicate that in language and the issues that ensue.
"There seems to me a thousand occasions when my soul knows more than it can tell, and a has a spirit of it's own which is far superior to my everyday one. It seems to me too, that men are far superior to all the books they write." by Pierre de Marivaux - La Vie de Marianne
I'm still in despair that I cannot find an English version of that book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next