It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, and it can be no coincidence that Kubrick chose to adapt a narrative written literally by A KING, and that THE SHINING is about the struggle by the son to wrestle the narrative from the father and re-own it, make it his own, as Stanley did with Steve's Story.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Seems the Kubrickon discussion, what there is of it, is now occurring at RI: http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... 37#p579437

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:27 am 

When I first watched the shinning I was expecting a Horror movie, It wasn´t frightful just disturbing and surreal. I bealive that is why it sticks to our minds, distance and isolation between relations a normal family can turn us insane. I was an assistant to a professor of film production and the showed the movie to every group he had, so i had to watch it several times, now I know the great effect this movie had in my life. The shinning is has a very macabre humor, the ending is a big joke of societies.Jack torrance doesñt wan´t a nice wife, a kid and a easy job, he truly wan´ts a hedonistic life of a billionare, he would rather sacrifice his soul and travel time and space and live that illusion forever. Jack is the minotaur in the maze, the bull went crazy with envy towards Danny. Danny could play and explore every room he was concious of what was happening. Danny is the scapegoat is the ultimate indian sacrifice jack has to offer to the indian spirits that mourn that mountain. In general american culture is doing that, American soil is cursed.

There is a person in my life that caused me alot of harm psicologicaly and one of this days I was looking at his facebook cover, and it was a snapshot of the scene where the papers of the typewritter are revealing the phrase repeating : "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" he is not nice and he is kind of a workaholic robot, I feel sorry for that guy, a strange sensation of compassion and daunting a fear. He is a demonic force in my inconcious, he is like this over the top studs, a minoic figure. I was so frighted that I blocked his account from view, is like this guy Jack Torrance is following me. Apart from all the personal sincronicity, I feel that Stanley Kubrick is extremely cold with the actors, they are not acting both Danny and Jack are the real names of the actors, as if we were acting in this movie the characters would have our names too. Probalby Kubrick is getting us into this maze the first time whe watch the movie and somehow it´s never solved.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

very interesting.....

i think Kubrick's actor may have felt imprisoned by him too. I know Matthew Modine did.