It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie Chat Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:03 pm 

Hated "Tree of Life"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 pm 

Probably will watch this later:

Interesting interview and choice of words.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

It's been a bad weekend for movies. I considered not watching anything but that didn't last long.

Friday night I watched a cheapo sci-fi thriller called Honeymoon about a couple who honeymoon in a cabin in the woods; the wife gets taken over by an alien organism. There is some small intelligence to it, the subtext being what happens when the impersonal/unconscious takes over a marriage ~ once the honeymoon is over. But nothing much to recommend it.

After that Panic in the Streets, an early Elia Kazan thriller about neumonic plague in New Orleans. Quite a nice meta-narrative, in that the film revolves around a manhunt for the killer who was exposed to the virus, being that his victim was the original carrier; so it is kind of an "above and below" story, the city being the body, the killer the virus, the cops and doctor the antibodies.

Sat night I watched a Paul Bowles documentary, Cage Door is Almost Open, which was fine. Then Fury, new Brad Pitt war movie. Hollywood war movies are no longer distinguishable from US propaganda, since the War-Without-End was declared. The movie is retarded; not Michael Bay-level, it's well-made and acted and has a few moments, but its war-is-hell message is just the set-up for the glorification of acts of heroism, the old "worst of times, best of men" slop. The sniper who kills Pitt at the end is made to look like an Arab, with camouflage gear that looks like Arab headgear. I stopped watching it towards the end, feeling too disgusted with it and myself for subjecting myself to it. (This thread may turn into my confessional.)

Then I watched the end tonight, out of morbid curiosity.

My second mistake, I watched The Judge; these are movies I wouldn't watch if my wife was here coz I know she wouldn't want to see them and she'd be right. Hard to believe Downey Jr. used to be my favorite actor. (He looks so much like my late brother.) The movie barely passes for entertainment without being actually inept. It's slick TV drama, a movie designed to prop up human values, the most vague and general form of propaganda. I was watching myself watching it most of the time. Observing the narrative it was generating and how it was drawing me in and how it was failing to. The film is a tissue of lies but without anything overtly objectionable. Just the horribly obsolete values that it takes for granted.

Part of me must want to believe in these values, else why would I consider watching a movie of this sort worth my time? In some odd way, it does allow me to appreciate my own life more. Watching human beings live and die, fight and fuck, causes me to reflect on my own narrative; I don't know if that's meaningful. It's as though I only have a sense of myself and my life in the context of "what humans are doing," and movies give a nice packaged experience of that, make it all seem coherent and linear. Allow me to feel the contrast with my own life.

But it also pisses me off; that talented people are spending time, energy and money making worthless crap dressed up as meaningful melodrama about human beings. I think the increased use of digital to shine the surface of movies is a way to cover up the ever-encroaching rot beneath the surface. There are scenes in The Judge (long shots) that look like CGI; the whole movie has a digitized sheen to it.

Part of me wouldn't even be all that surprised to discover that these movies are 100% computer generated, even AI-scripted, with no human involvement at all. That's how generic they are. Like bad TV, a simulation of what humans do, but since humans imitate what they see in movies and TV, the simulation and the reality are blurring together and becoming further and further removed from anything organically real. Anything actually sentient.

On the other hand, The Judge is about a son seeking his father's blessing. So the signal is still coming through even in drek like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:00 am 

Good points!

I'm not sure where I learned to only watch movies in a movie theater.. But in some ways this is positive because it sets a demarcation between "that world" and "my world." If they were in my living room it would be a problem.

We are planning to have movie nights here since I have a projector and can house approx 20 people .. It that case it would be a special time.. And the human relation would come from the audience and from the interaction before and after.. And by sharing food and drink.. It would be a special time, set apart from everyday life.. In some ways as though a spatial separation.

When I lived alone in Manhattan I had a TV with a TiVo and used to watch movies that I recorded from Turner Channel.. I ended up saving too many movies and not having the time to watch. When I got rid of the TV and moved to Brooklyn, there was no more TV's in the house.. In the place I lived, a large group of us would set - up screens and watch movies, but I usually didn't participate because they often chose movies I didn't want to watch..

My son and his close associate, E. , set up a screen last year and watched "The Counselor" I would like to read about that movie - what Jasun has to say about it, since I watched a part and it made me feel very unsettled and I didn't want to watch it.. They also watch movies in their room and I hear them laughing and commenting. They are in "another world".. I think that is a good thing.. Yet I know they are living in the consensus / "Propaganda" world.

There was a movie autist - style savant, who I knew through 9/11 research. He thought the movie, "World on a Wire" was very important.. The movie was originally a Fassbinder TV show in the early 1970's and had been unavailable for many years.. His mother had a bit part in it and it was about Computer simulation.. probably the only Fassbinder psi - fi movie.

Anyway, it sold out twice at MOMA - and I missed tickets both times.. But my friend got it finally through some kind of file sharing.. And we set up a screen and watched it at home.. As it is, I couldn't even distinguish in my memory, right away, if I had seen it at home or at the theatre.. And then I remembered the sheet screen.. and the group of people watching it here.

It came back to Film at Lincoln Center and I saw it again there - in a good theatre.. I'm not sure if it was over - rated , for being so precient - almost a "Matrix" movie 20 years earlier. The name "World on a Wire" implies both the wires of the wire-less computer networks and also the "puppetry" of being in someone else's simulated world.

""world" is an exaggeration"

funny..

Anyway, now it's on YouTube!?

3 1/ 2 hours long.

You may have all seen it before.. I dunno.

Here is a "dr. Manhattan" hologram in front of Big Ben.

Attachment:
drmanhattan11986.jpg
drmanhattan11986.jpg [ 29.91 KiB | Viewed 1799 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:30 am 

Will have to check out Ned Rifle by Hal Hartley.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:46 am 

shad0wplay wrote:
Will have to check out Ned Rifle by Hal Hartley.

ME TOO!!! I was wondering a couple of weeks back what ever happened to him so I'm excited to see he has a new movie, I might have to rewatch Henry Fool and Fay Grim since it sounds like Ned Rifle is the 3rd film in the trilogy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

I was one of the backers; got my comp copy last month. :hattip:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:21 am 

Jasun wrote:

oh it was crowdsourced? THANKS for backing him!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:51 am 

Jasun wrote:
I forgot to back it. I knew I would want the soundtrack. And this soundtrack is just as great as Henry Fool's.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:00 am 

I saw this movie last night at a great theatre right outside of Scarsdale, Westchester County, NY. (The theatre had drinks ["adult beverages"] and pizza / & other food.. that could be served to you at the tables which lined, with generous room, in front of every row of seats! Never saw a theatre like that before last night.)

Attachment:
photo-main.jpg
photo-main.jpg [ 96.49 KiB | Viewed 1741 times ]

Griffin Dunne was there along with the writer / director of the film, Justin Schwartz, for a Q and A after the film.. As well they were there just to meet afterward in the lobby.. My friend Michelle, who I went with, is a cousin of Mr. Schwartz.. I had a weird memory of Mr. Dunne, since I was in a car ride with him about 40 years ago..and we had a conversation which I remembered. We are almost the same age..

Mr. Dunne is a good physical comic actor.. This movie held some "syncs" for me - not only that I was able to share a memory from 40 years before and meet the "star," but also that a theme of the movie was historical narrative.. And who has control of it..

Also , a theme was similar to the "King" theme and "Bad Father" focus of the "Kubricon" - since the father of the Griffin Dunne character, "Stanley" had the temperament of a murderer. There was the theme of good and bad parenting.. And the theme of true history vs. bogus history.. "the Discoverers" were the explorers of the past , specifically "Louis and Clark" - and the Mimesis was that the family finds themselves in an historical reenactment camp - out, where they are re-enacting the famous expedition to the Pacific.

Next: Question: Is it really the protocol here to make one line postings? I thought that kind of thing was for chat.?. I find it very frustrating to open up a thread and find one line.. Then, hours later, to open it up again, to think I might read something, to find another single line.. It feels like a "gotcha" moment..

Maybe save up two or three lines before posting? I know I am guilty of this too - on this thread.. I confess. .But can people do me that favor? "oyvey" I'm pulling my weight and writing a lot here.

Also, in respect to the image I posted above..

Attachment:
drmanhattan11986.jpg
drmanhattan11986.jpg [ 29.91 KiB | Viewed 1741 times ]

The Sync Book Quick news report for this week, I found today, focused upon "The Watchmen" - a graphic novel which features the Blue character , Dr. Manhattan.

And here's a Sync Book Quick News from last November focusing on Kubrick and the "2001," Which I found while looking at this week's report.

I need to read the complete Mark Crispin Miller article on "2001" more carefully. But what I did read:

Quote:
The film's first devotees were knocked out, understandably, by its "incredible and irrevocable splendor" (as another letter-writer phrased it). Others were troubled -- also understandably -- by the film's disturbing intimation that, since "the dawn of man" so many, many centuries ago, the human race has got nowhere fast. That subversive notion is legible not only in the famous match cut from the sunlit bone to the nocturnal spacecraft (two tools, same deadly white, both descending) but throughout the first two sections of the narrative: indeed, the negation of the myth of progress may be the film's basic structural principle. Between the starved and bickering apes and smooth, affable descendants there are all sorts of broad distinctions, but there is finally not much difference -- an oblique, uncanny similarity that recurs in every human action represented.

reminded me of some opinion I had of "Avatar" :

With "Avatar" , depending on what is the "point of view" , one can be cheering for the "home team" - the guys who are tearing down the tree of the "natives" ... or not, i.e. cheering for the ones praying to nature , whose home is being destroyed by the invaders.

In the same way with "2001" :

Peoples whose view is: "Man is a violent animal; And that is "his" natural state, and that is good" will be understanding the human / "his" conquest of Space as predetermined by "his" success on the home planet.. Such people don't believe that the human's violent nature is a negation of progress, but that it is actually required for success. The acceptance of that inheritance and the acting upon it is the "manifest destiny" of the human species, accordingly.

[This exact contrast of world views was illustrated in the "Discoverers" movie]

Those who can not imagine the above point of view will believe that by Kubrick telling the story, this way he does, is blowing the whistle on the violent apes [a belief of Mr. Miller] - since such people will see violence as wrong. And have no imagination to conceive that other's see strenght and survival equated with violence - then [in the day of the monkey] and now, in our day.

So the same movie will tell a different tale, depending upon to whom it is told.

"What you drink is your own imagination.
It's no old tale, my good man"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next