It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:04 pm 

I can't honestly say that I definitely remember that one but it was amusing to hear just now. The image looks familiar though so I might have briefly checked it out years ago but can't recall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:07 am 

The chapters on your brother got real dark. I wonder how others who don't know you will take that all in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:26 am 
Site Admin

you read the whole book?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:36 am 

Jasun wrote:
you read the whole book?
Almost half of it. I skipped the Clint Eastwood, Lethem and some other chapters.

I'm trying to put it all together.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

I think it's only a slight exaggeration to say you're at as great a disadvantage trying to put it all together as if you were to read a novel out of sequence.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:38 pm 

Jasun wrote:
I think it's only a slight exaggeration to say you're at as great a disadvantage trying to put it all together as if you were to read a novel out of sequence.
The pieces to a puzzle come scrambled in the box before you can put them all together.

I have to say your The Counselor review was nicely transitioned in the book, as I was more engaged with it and seen where you were coming from, rather than it as a single piece.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Yet it was written as a single piece and then incorporated into the book, at the precise point in the timeline-of-writing-it that I saw the movie.

which is why i refer to SANS as a (somewhat) linear narrative.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:40 am 

I'll admit that I also initially read parts of a couple of sections of the book out of sequence before I started at the beginning and read it through. I do that quite a bit with "non-fiction" books just to get a feel for what I'm about to read or sometimes just to get to the parts that catch my interest right at that moment. It's funny that you mentioned this same tendency in yourself towards the beginning of SANS almost as if to reprimand those readers who might have done it in this case. Almost like saying "I saw you do that". :tsk: I wouldn't do that with a novel though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

I do it with any book that doesn't grab me; fiction or nonfiction. Or just put it down.

But clearly it works less well with a novel in which you are likely to wind up confused by what is going on having missed key plot points,such as with Fortress of Solitude, in which I skipped the stuff about the magic ring and then found myself going:
:wtf:

A book that grabs me, tho, fiction or non (arbitrary definitions), pulls me into an unfolding of the author's own journey, whether hidden (in NF) or embodied in the protagonist (F). With SANS, the attempt (early liminalism) is to include myself the author as a protagonist in the non-fiction. This makes it similar to memoir but in the form of a series of essays; hence the belief that you can skip ones that interest you less, which of course you can, but not without losing the whole experience which I was hoping to convey, Poe-style, namely: the transference of a changing brain-state.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:22 pm 

Quote:
My goal is to write with the total body. To write as a means to become embodied, and to allow the process of embodiment to inform what I write and give it substance, blood, body, so the reader can receive a literary transfusion and become more embodied too. As I write, hour after hour, week after week, and year after year, I am waiting. I am waiting for that final breakthrough, the epiphany in which all the pieces come together for an instant and I see the method of my madness and let it all go, watch my identity disperse into nothingness and nowhereness, leaving only the echo of an unraveled life. The moment it all comes to an end and I am finally done. At the same time, part of me hopes that the moment I find that authentic core, my true voice, I will produce something so profound that the curtain of anonymity will draw aside and I will be shuttled into the world's stage, an audience of millions wildly applauding.

I know this is all crap. The internal breakthrough, if it's real, won't leave me holding a Pulitzer Prize but be the end of my story forever. An empty stage, with no audience, no performer, no prizes, nada-No hay banda. The self-digested author. The part of me that's motivated to pursue the process of writing to create a product that will launch my career doesn't understand this. The catch of spiritual autolysis is that no one ever reads it. I can't be totally honest if I am writing to be read. I can't even be totally honest when I'm not writing to be read, when it's only me, myself, and mine. We are bullshit to the end.

I finished reading SANS a few months ago. Sorry, it has taken me so long to review it. I loved it for all the reasons I love to read Jasun's writing, his raw, take no prisoners, admirable honesty, and yet, great heart.

To be completely honest, I haven't watched a lot of movies, but while reading SANS, I ended up watching quite a few westerns trying to gain some perspective.