It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coincidence
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:07 pm 

Hi, I've been trying to post this since friday.

I was in a conference today about diabetes. We were talking about the Mexicans' tendency to develop it. There were only 5 persons in the conference, so the doctor started talking about his own life. He told us he was born and raised in Mexico City since generations. His great-grandfather was a general during Porfirio Díaz's government. The President (Díaz) sent his great grandfather to Sonora, to get rid of the Yaquis. He and his soldiers put the Yaqui on trains to move them to Yucatán. Many of them died during the travel, and that was a good thing for the president. During the campaign the general saw a Yaqui woman and got her out of the train. Her name was Xochicahui. The general brought her back to Mexico City already pregnant and wanted to marry her. It was a shame for his family. They put her with the nuns so she could become "civilized". They married and eventually went back to Sonora. They had lands and children. One of them, the doctor's grandfather. Many years went by and the doctor went to Sonora to visit his grandfather. During the trip he met a Yaqui. He recognized him as the son of Xochicahui. He said no. He was the grandson. The Yaqui told him that his grandfather was a bad person because he didn't wanted to share his lands with the Yaqui. It was true. For his grandfather the land was his and all the Yaqui were lazy and wanted to robb him. The doctor was a student back then and the Yaqui asked him what he was studying. He said medicine and the Yaqui said he was a man of knowledge too. A sorcerer. He got very impressed with the yaqui. He decided to know more about their culture. He spent a lot of time with the guy from the bus. And he was his uncle: Son of Xochicahui.

The doctor started talking about the lessons he learned from the Yaqui. In my head it sounded as Castaneda's books. I mentioned him the books. And he just said:
"The man from the books was my uncle! Juan son of Xochicahui. Not Juan Matus as in the books. That is his Yori name. All the lessons are real."

He said a couple of things after, but my mind got stuck in Juan Matus being the son of a General and a Yaqui.

I have no idea if the story is true or not. Certainly the doctor is a well educated person, had no need to talk about the Yaqui or to lie about his life. It just happened. He didn't mentioned Castaneda at all, I did. His eyes became bright when I told him that I knew the books.

The doctor name is Juan Ochoa Hernández. His great grandfather was general Gabriel Hernandez.

Since there was a big debate to know if the stories from the books were real or just an invention, I found the story very interesting and surprising as it had nothing to do with the talk! I wanted to share it with you, because I know you like the books. It felt like the story was meant to be shared, and I know very few people that would care about it. One of them is you. I didn't know where to post it so I got here.

Post subject: Re: Coincidence
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting. I also just signed into the forum for the first time in a long while.

Would he be willing to talk to me, do you think?

Post subject: Re: Coincidence
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:31 pm 

Yes I don't see why not. He is a gerontologist, he is 72 and lives here in Cuernavaca. I have his phone number. Is there a way I can send it only to you? It is private information. He is very funny and intelligent. I hope you get to know him. Also, if he is not too technological, I could help you to meet in skype or FaceTime if you want.
And what surprises me the most is that there is no way I could have met him if my life hadn't changed so much in the last months. The probability for this to happen is almost null. If you get to meet him and you find something interesting about Don Juan, would be one of my favorite coincidences/synchronicities in my life (and I have very good ones). Maybe would be the reason why I keep reading your work and why I like it. I might be just the messenger, not the student.
Anyway, life goes on and keeps getting interesting. Let me know if you want his phone number.